Thoughts from the (un)Perfect Mother

As my mother shouted to me, "I HOPE YOU HAVE DAUGHTERS WHO ARE JUST. LIKE. YOU!" I never dreamed that it would become my reality.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Pesky Peeve

of mine.

Parents who deem themselves better than anyone else.

Honestly, who are you to know what my issues are within my life, my family?

Who are you to judge my mothering skills?

Who are you to determine whether or not I can "handle" my children.

You know nothing of my life, other than what I share. These stories that I may share, or other mothers share on their blogs are journals of things our children do NOW. It has nothing to do with not being able to "handle" them. It has everything to do with retelling stories that are humorous. Pondering our children, watching them become their own person, watching their own ideas take hold and how we attempt to guide them into the path of the people that we want them to become, only to watch them become who they are. And, besides all of our attempts to deter them, they seem to become pretty awesome people, anyways.

I will only say this:

Until you have walked in my shoes, do not judge me. I am a single parent. I did not ask to be one. I never intended on being one. It was not my choice.
The job I have that provides for my children is steady, but it is not a 9-5 gig. It is not one that always allows me to be home. See, I am not only a mother, a woman, a friend, a daughter, a granddaughter. I am also a Soldier.

Do not come to me complaining about your life. About the sacrifices that you have to make as a mother.

I will laugh with you. I will smile along side you. I will nod and totally understand everything you are saying. I will enjoy the stories and tales of your children, of your mothering.

But I do know sacrifice. I know hardship. And how dare you think yourself the only one who ever had to deal with anything hard because your child is "special".

3 Comments:

Blogger gwendomama said...

Dear UNperfect mother
I am sorry - I knew it would come to this, but I am glad only that she had to show her true angry colors.

'Unperfect mother-I only hope someday you have to experience what many parents of disabled children have to experience.'
-anonymous (they always are)

It's not about you - it's about anger. She's angry still about what life has dealt her. She's wasting time.
Yes, parenting any child is a challenge. I agree completely. Now if you don't mind, I am going to go live my superficial life as I continue to appreciate and parent my living children.

-found you on maryt.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Mary Tsao said...

I agree completely with everything you've written here. And sorry about the comments from that troll! I'm still trying to figure out the correct Internet protocol for situations like that...

9:13 PM  
Blogger h&b said...

Loved your post.
Likewise drifted here from over at Mary T's site.

I personally do not like and distrust 'anon' posters. It tends to be a cop-out for nasty people with an axe to grind.

They are usually high-horsed and highly judgemental and know it ... therefore they are embarrassed to put their name & face to their nasty spoutings.

Don't worry about them.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home